background

Monday, December 7, 2009

Best of 2009 Blog Challenge: Day 7

The prompt for today, December 7, is "Blog find of the year. That gem of a blog you can't believe you didn't know about until this year."

I don't know how to paint, but I'd love to know how. I'm particularly drawn to abstract painting and graffiti or graffiti-inspired painting. I'm constantly experimenting with techniques I find online, in magazines, and on blogs and internet sites.

I'm also interested in how mixed media finds its way into other types of crafting like sewing. I'd love to make my own clothes or to be able to give existing clothing an artsier feel.

This time last year, I bought the book, Canvas Remix by Alisa Burke. Burke imagines a world where art isn't passive. Canvas, when cut to form, becomes apparel and journals and crowns and household decor that is not necessarily relegated to a wall.

I visit Burke's blog often and am taken by her need to re-purpose common everyday objects into beautiful pieces of art. Cereal boxes get turned into beautiful napkin rings. Sweaters that have seen better days get turned into funky new pieces of winter wear.

You should check out her blog and her book.

No comments:

Post a Comment