background

Friday, February 27, 2015

Ode to the Circle

Lately, I've fallen in love with circles.There's something soothing about the repetition of that shape. I suppose that's why children love to blow bubbles. That's why they love balloons. 

I suppose that's why people can't resist skipping stones (that circular weight in the palm is so satisfying before its released). I suppose that's why a circular pizza seems more appetizing than "artisan" rectangular ones. It's probably why that dopey yellow smiley face is the mascot for the "Have a Nice Day" campaign.

Of course, the shape is feminine. It speaks of cycles: beginnings and endings--coming full circle. It's non-threatening with no hard edges. It's cellular and of the body. It's full moons, candy wafers, the ends of thread spools, clocks, and blood.






1 comment:

  1. You write very evocatively about circles. I quite agree with you about how pleasing they are. I love your latest collages and the almost monochromatic colour schemes.

    ReplyDelete