background

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Faux Cake

Cake-shaped card boxes are pretty popular, and they sell for a pretty penny (the one above is selling on ETSY for $150). While researching decorations, I encountered many examples and decided to steal the idea of a faux cake as a decoration for my candy buffet table.  What's a candy buffet table you say?

Here's one example:
And here's another:
Here's what I created. I bought the "H" topper from a lady on an internet yard sale site for $3. I bought the set of 3 nesting boxes for $2.99 at Goodwill. The bottom round was a hat box I found at an antique store in town. I decoupaged sheet music to the layers. The ribbons, flowers, and beaded wire were in my stash.
 Here's a close-up of the flowers and beaded wire:
 And the H, which I managed to break as I was trying to push the tines into the top layer of the box.
I tried to keep the color palette fairly neutral (i.e. no aqua), as I'm going to try to sell many of the decorations I make after the wedding.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE your version Wendy! GREAT JOB girl! I'll probably buy half your decorations! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Your wedding is going to be pure magic!

    ReplyDelete